ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Announced - April 11th, 2017. Mandalay Homes of Prescott, Arizona is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for its strong marketing efforts and collaborative projects, emphasizing sustainability and education. In 2013, Mandalay Homes committed to building 100 percent ENERGY STAR® certified homes and has demonstrated its dedication to building science innovation and education.
Take a look at Mandalay Homes' Key Accomplishments in 2016.
EmPOWER Maryland Will Save Customers
$4 Billion on Electric Bills - January 12th, 2017. Maryland electric customers will save more than $4 billion due to energy efficiency improvements made at homes and businesses through a successful Maryland program, according to a first-of-its-kind study from the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE).
Read the Press Release
- Newport Stays Fit in Annapolis Running Classic - November 19th, 2016. Newport's James Lyons and Sam Bowles participated in the Annapolis Half Marathon this past Saturday. This event has become an Annapolis running classic with a scenic waterfront route through historic Annapolis. The start and finish was at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. A portion of the net proceeds goes back to charitable organizations in Annapolis. Way to go, Jamie and Sam!
- Newport Helps Spruce Up a Shelter in Rockville - October 5th, 2015. Newport Partners participated in a charity paint event at a homeless shelter for women in Rockville, MD. It was a fun day out of the office and helps people in need have a nicer living environment while they get back on their feet. Check out some of the photos for the day!
- The 2016 Housing Innovation Award Winners Announced - September 30th, 2016. This past week the US DOE Zero Energy Ready Home program announced the winners of the 2016 Housing Innovation Awards. These awards recognize forward-thinking builders for delivering American homebuyers with the home of the future, today. The 2016 Housing Innovation Awards were held September 27-29 in Frisco, TX. The 5 categories for the awards are Custom Buyer, Custom Spec, Production, Multi-Family, and Affordable. Check out the winners from each category and the Grand Winners! Take the Tour of Zero.
DOE Award to Increase the Nation's Energy Efficiency Goes to Newport Partners
May 10th, 2016 - Newport Partners has been awarded one of fourteen DOE awards to improve the nation's energy efficiency. DOE is investing $14 million into dramatically increasing the efficiency of our nation’s homes and buildings through the Commercial Buildings Integration program and the Building America program.
Newport's award falls under the Building America Program where the objective is to develop a quiet “Smart” Range Hood that is five times more efficient than today’s ENERGY STAR® models, captures nearly 100 percent of cooking pollutants, and is cost competitive with other kitchen range hoods currently on the market.
Read the press release
- Newport, LED Lighting, and Earth Day Celebration - April 21st, 2016. Newport attended the Department of Commerce Earth Day celebration with our LED lighting display in Washington, DC today. The Earth Day Fair offered informational exhibits for Department of Commerce employees to learn more about the newest sustainable products, services, and technologies in the environmental, energy, and sustainability arenas. Newport demonstrated and highlighted the energy saving LED lighting technology. Sam Bowles is pictured right at the booth.
- HUD Releases the Durability by Design Guide, 2nd Edition - April 4th, 2016. Durability by Design: A Professional's Guide to Durable Home Design, authored by Newport Partners and ARES Consulting, updates the original HUD guide of the same name. This critical update covers pivotal changes to home building over the past decade, driven by energy codes, new materials, and other market drivers. Learn more about the new guide.
Download the Guide
Watch the Video
- Meeting Code With LEDs - February 24th, 2016. A major factor in the rapid advancement in lighting in recent years has been the development of LED technology. The 2015 IECC requires 75% high efficacy lighting. Learn about what types of lights comply and how LEDs are changing the residential lighting market. Read the report (PDF).
- Newport Partners Honored with the 2015 Rodgers Award - December 9th, 2015. Newport Partners was awarded the 2015 Joseph C. Rodgers Award at the Annual Maryland Building Industry Association's Winter Ball last Saturday. The Rodgers Award is presented annually in recognition of extraordinary and outstanding services by an associate member to the Association.
- DOE Residential Field Study Webinar: Preliminary Findings - November 24th, 2015. The US DOE is hosting a webinar presenting the findings from phase 1 of the current residential field study being conducted by MEA and Newport Partners. Learn more and register.
- Newport Partners Helps Support a New Retrofit for the St. Matthew’s Housing Corporation - November 18th, 2015. Over the next few weeks, a Prince George’s County housing program facility that supports low-income families transitioning to stability is being retrofitted with a new energy-efficient two-zone HVAC system and other upgrades thanks to local builder Caruso Homes and the Home Builders Care Foundation (HBCF), the 501 (c) (3) non-profit charity affiliated with the Maryland Building Industry Association (MBIA). Newport Partners conducted an energy audit on the home just prior to the renovation. Read more in the press release.
“The Home Builders Care program is all about working with community nonprofits to meet the challenges of caring for our neighbors in need. Helping St. Matthews retrofit their facility is a great example of our mission in action.”
Liza Bowles, President of Home Builders Care and Newport Partners
- Announcing the 2015 Housing Innovation Awards - October 20th, 2015. The 2015 Housing Innovation Awards have been announced. Check out this year's award winning homes. The Housing Innovation Awards recognize the very best in innovation on the path to Zero Energy Ready Homes. Learn more.
- 2015 Housing Innovation Awards - October 1st, 2015. Since 2013, the Housing Innovation Awards have recognized the very best in innovation on the path to Zero Energy Ready Homes. This year's awards ceremony will be held October 6th, at the EEBA Excellence in Building Conference & Expo in Denver, Colorado. Learn more.
- DOE's Tour of Zero - August 20th, 2015. The DOE Zero Energy Ready Home Program has just launched an exciting, new, consumer oriented campaign, the "Tour of Zero." The Tour of Zero takes visitors on a virtual tour of great examples of Zero Energy Ready Homes in their climate zone. Take the tour today!
- Come See Us at MACo!!! - August 11th, 2015. On behalf of the Maryland Energy Administration, Newport will be hosting a booth at the Maryland Association of Counties 2015 Summer Conference this week in Ocean City, MD. If you are planning on attending the conference, stop by our booth to learn about our Energy Code training and education services and talk to our staff about how we can help you! The conference is being held from August 12th-15th. See you in OC.
- HUD Releases Preliminary Copy of Newport Publication, Durability by Design: A Professional's Guide to Durable Home Design - July 1st, 2015. HUD released Durability by Design V2.0 (2015) today which updates the original HUD guide of the same name. This critical update covers key changes to home building over the past decade, driven by energy codes, new materials, and other market drivers. This is a preliminary copy released by HUD, with the final publication to be released on HUDUser.org later this year.
Read the full report
Download Durability by Design: A Professional's Guide to Durable Home Design
Open House for Open Arms
April 2015 -- April finished on an exciting note for Newport and the Home Builders Care Foundation which we support, with our participation in the ground-breaking ceremony of "Owen House." Owen House is the 2nd supportive housing residence being built by Open Arms Housing, a housing non-profit.
Owen House will provide permanent housing for four homeless women with mental health issues and physical disabilities. During the open house, we had the chance to walk through Owen House's large and light-filled one-bedroom apartments. A big highlight was a short, powerful speech by a future resident of Owen House, describing the life-changing impact of Open Arms' programs and having a home to call her own.
- Florida Builder Aiming for Zero Energy Ready - April 2015. As part of its ongoing support for the DOE Zero Energy Ready Home program, our staff have been working with LifeStyle Homes of Melbourne, FL. LifeStyle's high performance homes have helped them succeed in the Florida market for many years through all sorts of market conditions. Now they are moving into the Zero Energy Ready space as leaders in their market, breaking ground on this home this May. Read the full article.
- The Changing Tides of Water Heaters - February 2015. New federal efficiency standards for residential water heaters will take effect this April, changing nearly every product offering on the market. In this article by LP Gas Magazine, Newport's Jamie Lyons is one of a group of experts providing insights into the implications of this historic change. Read the article.
- HBCF Brings Improved Housing for People with Disabilities -January 2015. Newport Partners applauds Home Builders Care Foundation (HBCF) and Spring DellCenter for bringing betterhousing to individuals with disabilities.HBCF is the charity affiliate of the Maryland BuildingIndustry Association.The ribbon cutting ceremony is pictured to the right. Read the article.
- Noninvasive Energy Retrofit of a Group Home for 40% Energy Savings - September/October 2014. Newport Partners recently acted as the lead consultant for an occupant-in-place energy efficiency retrofit for the Sasha Bruce Youthwork group home in Washington, DC. Sponsoring this project were DOE Building America, HomeAid DC, Home Builders Care Foundation, and the Walmart Foundation. Read the article.
- Gauging Consumer Perception Regarding Residential Lighting - June 2014. Newport recently participated in the 14th annual NY Capital Region Parade of Homes by conducting a lighting demonstration at one of Belmonte Builders model homes in Saratoga, NY. The event was a huge success and unveiled some interesting things regarding consumer perception of different residential lighting options. Read the report.
- Newport Presents on Zero Energy Ready Homes at RESNET National Conference - March 2014. Jamie Lyons of Newport recently presented on key design aspects of Zero Energy Ready Homes at the annual RESNET conference, in support of our work with the DOE Challenge Home program. One session covered design and construction strategies for locating ducts in conditioned space – a critical detail for getting homes to Zero Energy Ready levels of performance. The audience of raters and builders had numerous questions and also shared their own experiences with this design feature. For more information on the DOE Challenge Home program visit www.buildings.energy.gov/challenge.
- Newport Collaborates with Broan-NuTone on Ventilation Systems Tool - March 2014.Newport collaborated with Broan-NuTone to launch updated versions of their on-line Make-Up Air Damper tool and CodeKey tool. The Make-Up Air Damper tool has been expanded to assist builders with sizing and specifying code-compliant kitchen range hood makeup air solutions for high capacity fans in each state (e.g., those exceeding 400 cfm). Read more...
Newport's Project - DOE Challenge Home - Getting Press Coverage
November 2013 -- It's an exciting month for the U.S. Department of Energy's Challenge Home program. The program, launched just over a year ago, is having an impact much larger than it's diminutive size. These homes meet rigorous DOE Challenge Home National Program Requirements and are verified by a qualified third-party to be at least 40%-50% more energy efficient than a typical new home. All DOE Challenge Homes are zero net-energy ready and are so efficient a small renewable energy system can offset most or all annual energy consumption.
The November 2013 issue of Professional Builder features a cover story by Kyle Clapham (pp. 22-26), on how DOE Challenge Homeowners are so happy with the benefits of these high performance homes that they become the sales force.
And, as if that weren't already great coverage, Sean Groom writes about the Housing Innovation Awards in this issue of Fine Home Building. The article features four DOE Challenge Home grand award winners. Newport supports DOE in the continued technical development, operations and marketing of the DOE Challenge Home program and the Housing Innovation Awards.
- HomeAid Washington DC Completes Energy Efficiency Retrofit Project for Community Connections - December 20, 2012. HomeAid Washington DC (HomeAid DC), a nonprofit charitable construction program affiliated with the Home Builders Care Foundation and the Maryland-National Capital Building Industry Association (MNCBIA), completed a noteworthy energy efficiency retrofit project this week at a six-unit apartment building owned and operated by Community Connections. HomeAid DC received key technical support for the project from Newport Partners LLC to complete the green, energy saving HVAC system replacement in the building. Read the press release...
Read more on Retrofits - Case Study: Group Home Energy Efficiency Retrofit for 30% Energy Savings
- Winners from Commercial Plumbing Innovation Survey
- November 28, 2012. Congratulations to Jon Harmer of New Gloucester, Maine and Chris Wisinski of Chicago, IL. They won iPads from a random drawing of folks who completed a survey on commercial plumbing innovation.
- Are ‘smart bulbs’ the next bright idea in energy efficiency? - November 2, 2012. Spark, a connected lighting company is getting ready to release its first product, a socket that connects to a home wireless network and lets people switch light bulbs on and off from their phone or computer. Read more...
- Newport Develops Web-based Code Compliance Tool - October 16, 2012. When it comes to code compliance, finding the right answers can get complicated. That's why Broan Nu-Tone and BEST partnered with Newport to develop the industry’s first web-based Range Hood Make-Up Air Specifier. This will serve to help builders and contractors with specifying these systems and easily navigating state-level code requirements. Read more...
- Distressed Properties in Upstate Cities and Newport’s Concept Home - September 26, 2012. Based on the articles from the Times Union and the Daily Gazette, it appears that a concerted effort is being made by the City of Albany and the City of Schenectady to see to it that vacant or abandoned properties are redeveloped and put back on their respective tax rolls. Newport is looking to develop a Concept Home in the Schenectady area. The Concept Home will contain designs, features, and products that address the needs of homeowners now and in the future. The Concept Home has the potential to serve as a replicable model that cities like Albany or Schenectady can use as they encourage redevelopment of their vacant or abandoned properties going forward. Stay tuned for more details about Newport’s Concept Home 2013!
- Newport Ventures Energy Code Training in Connecticut - September 18, 2012. David Brignati of Newport Ventures is continuing energy code training sponsored by Connecticut Light and Power. The training covers the administrative portions of the 2009 IECC with Connecticut amendments as well as the salient provisions of the Residential chapter of the code. Code administration topics will include questions on how the code treats different building types (e.g. mixed use buildings) as well as how the code addresses existing residential buildings. Attendees acquire a thorough understanding of the new code by engaging in multiple exercises and activities where they not only learn how to distinguish between compliant and non-compliant building assemblies, but learn how to use the code in an efficient manner. The course carries continuing education credits for code officials. Check our blog this week for training highlights. See David in action on Newport's YouTube channel.
- Interviews Identify Impact of Advanced Energy Codes
on Appraised Value - September 11, 2012.Newport Ventures recently interviewed appraisers to determine the likelihood that homes built to the requirements of amore stringent energy code would appraise for a higher value than other similar homes. Read more...
- Newport Getting Involved in the ICC Code Development Process - September 4, 2012. Newport submitted comments to the International Code Council to support updates to the 2015 International Mechanical Code. Some of the big issues that we expect to be on the table for the Final Action Hearings include providing better guidance for specifying ventilation, makeup air, and combustion safety in tight dwellings. See you in Portland in October!
- PRESS RELEASE: New Report Shows Moving Displaced Families Back Home Quickly Key to Disaster Rebuilding, August 23rd, 2012. With Hurricane Isaac fast approaching the southeast and wildfires in the west decimating over hundreds of homes, a new report, Strategies for Incremental Reconstruction of Disaster Damaged Homes, funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), outlines strategies for rebuilding after natural disasters quickly and reducing displacement. Read more...
- Interviews Identify Benefits of Advanced Energy Code - August 21, 2012. Newport is wrapping up interviews with over a dozen municipal officials to identify the benefits communities have realized from implementing an advanced energy code and whether municipal officials support keeping these requirements in place. From the interviews, we learned that there is strong support for advanced energy codes in communities that have implemented them, along with environmental benefits associated with implementing an advanced code. Read more…
- Check back in to Newport News to read results from our interviews with real estate appraisers and what affect energy codes have on property values and desirability.
Newport Showcasing Disaster Research at the DC Home & Garden Show
March 9-11, 2012 -- Phil Sapone recently represented Newport's work on disaster preparedness at the Washington Home Show.
The Safer Stronger Homes project is about learning how to keep your home safe from disaster by winds, seismic forces, floods, and wind-driven rain.
A how-to guide details simple low-cost strategies to disaster-proof your home. Some items covered in the guide are roofs, gables, siding and exterior walls, windows and doors, roof ventilation, flashing, chimneys, foundations, and landscaping.
- PRESS RELEASE: Following Severe Weather HUD Releases New Disaster-Proofing Building Guide, March 5th, 2012. Newport Partners, LLC, a Maryland-based consulting firm, recently announced the initial results of a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development-funded research project, Safer, Stronger Homes: Reducing Your Risk During a Natural Disaster. Read more...
- Home Ventilation Solutions, Green Building Practices, and the new 2012 IRC Code, Home Channel News - February 13th, 2012. “In the past, mechanical ventilation was optional in homes, but the new 2012 IRC code now requires mechanical ventilation,” said Moore of Newport Partners. Read more...
- Peak Performance and the Future of Housing: Builders Challenge Unveils Version 2, Energy Design Update, February 2012. Read how Newport Partners and the Department of Energy are working together to promote Builders Challenge Version 2 by developing key strategies to engage homebuilders, along with implementation procedures and technical specifications.
Newport's Strong Presence at the 2012 International Builders Show
February 8-11, 2012 -- Newport’s projects were on display at the 2012 International Builders Show in Orlando, FL.
Newport staffed the Department of Energy’s “Ask the Experts” booth throughout the show, talking to builders about the Building America and Builders Challenge program. They also organized several stakeholder meetings regarding the Builders Challenge Version 2 and attended the 4th Annual BASF/Professional Builder Builders Challenge Awards.
Newport participated in a mechanical ventilation panel “Clearing the Air: Smart Ventilation for Today's Tighter Homes” and presented disaster resistance research “Safer, Stronger Homes: Reducing Your Risk During a Natural Disaster.”
Left Photo: Joe Nebbia of Newport Partners LLC at the Builders Challenge booth at the 2012 International Builders Show.
- Newport Receives 2011 Community Service Award
Newport Partners has been selected as a winner of a 2011 Community Service Award, presented annually by the Home Builders Care Foundation (HBCF). The HBCF Community Service Award is given to an individual, group or company for outstanding contributions to the community through unselfish efforts and dedication in support of shelter-related projects. Newport Partners is recognized for their leadership and expertise on the energy efficiency retrofit project for Sasha Bruce’s REACH program.
- HomeAid Turns Focus to Boosting Shelters’ Energy Efficiency - December 22, 2011
As part of the Environmental Sustainability Program, HomeAid partnered with Newport to make energy-efficient upgrades to a REACH Youth Home in D.C. These upgrades will not only increase the energy efficiency but will thereby reduce costs and increase savings. Newport supports the HomeAid effort by donating more than $10,000 worth of in-kind services towards energy efficient housing upgrade. Read more...
- New research by Newport Partners measures the value of Propane Tankless Water Heaters vs. Electric Heat Pump Water Heaters. A comparison of both high-performance systems were reviewed under an extensive set of operational capablities and economic standards relating to energy source, economics, installation requirements, hot water delivery rates, and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. This research can make a significant difference in residential energy savings, given that residential water heating is usually the second largest user of energy in the the home accounting for a quarter of total household energy consumption. Click here to read more and find out which system is the better energy efficient option.
Newport Study on U.S. Energy Efficiency Product Use Featured in New York Times
March 12, 2010 -- A recent study conducted by Newport Partners on behalf of the Home Performance Resource Center, was noted in a March 12 New York Times article on energy efficiency and the domestic economy.
The article points out that the vast majority of products commonly used in home energy retrofits are produced in the United States. Over 90 percent of certain energy retrofit products, caulk, spray foam, and insulation are domestically produced. Compared to the domestic share of all manufactured products used in the United States (76.5 percent), this analysis shows a strong case for the link between domestic economic stimulus and the home energy retrofit market.
Newport’s study used a unique combination of government economic databases to identify categories of products commonly used in home energy retrofits and to determine the share of these products produced domestically. The study can be found at the Home Performance Resource Center.
- In October, Newport's Liza Bowles spoke on the outlook for the U.S. construction industry at the World Steel Association meeting in Beijing, China.
- Newport has teamed up with Wise Choice Construction on the BG&E ENERGY STAR for New Homes Program. Email us if you are interested in learning more.
Fast Growing Newport Partners Ranked on Inc. 5000
Newport Partners was recently recognized by Inc. as one of America's fastest growing companies. Newport debuted on the list at number 3981. For more than 27 years, the Inc 5000 has served as a benchmark for the most innovative, dynamic, and successful companies in the nation.
Contact us at 301-889-0017 or review our services section to find out how Newport can help your organization grow.
Newport Bolsters Green Building Capabilities with LEED Certification
Mike Moore of Newport Partners recently became a LEED Accredited Professional. Recognized as the most credible green building rating systems by the GSA, the US Green Building Council’s LEED rating system provides green building guidance and certification for commercial applications including new and exisiting construction, interiors, and core and shell.
In 2007, LEED for Homes will be introduced as a national residential green building rating system. LEED Accredited Professionals are recognized by the USGBC as possessing the knowledge and skills necessary for facilitating the integrated building design and documentation process that supports green building and each system of LEED certification.
The LEED certification adds to Newport’s capabilities to provide design recommendations and analysis for energy efficiency, sustainability, moisture control, ventilation, and IAQ.
- PRESS RELEASE: HUD Names Charleston Builder for PATH Concept Home in South Carolina, October 10, 2007 (PDF, 84KB)
- "HUD Unveils America's First Efficient, Sustainable Concept Home Path", News Blaze, June 7, 2007 (PDF, 15KB)
- "PATH Uses Top Technologies in 2007 Concept Home", HGTVPro.com (PDF, 47KB)
- "HUD Unveils America's First Efficient, Sustainable, Affordable Concept Home PATH", RAC Online, June 7, 2007 (PDF 15KB)
- "Two Omaha Houses to be first of their kind in U.S.", Omaha World-Herald, October 18, 2006 (PDF, 12KB)
- "Breaking New Ground, Concept Homes Launched", WOWT, Channel 6 NBC News, October 18, 2006 (PDF, 77KB)
- "North Omaha Shows Signs of Economic Development: Concept House, Senior Living, Businesses Under Construction", www.KETV.com, October 18, 2006 (PDF, 14KB)
- PRESS RELEASE: HUD Breaks Ground on America's First PATH Concept Home, October 2006 (PDF, 114KB)
- "Forget the Cleavers: Beaver Now Builds on Innovation", Innovative Home, Fall 2006 (PDF, 167KB)
- "Conference to Review Affordable Housing", The Saratogian, July 10, 2006 (PDF, 69KB)
- "Houses That Change When We Do", Washington Post, March 23, 2006 (PDF, 95KB)
Article was also published March 25 in the Cincinnati Post, March 26 in the Orlando Sentinel, March 29 in the Denver Post, March 30 in the Macon (Georgia) Telegraph, April 1 in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and April 2 in the Forth Wayne (Indiana) Journal Gazette and the Bradenton (Florida) Herald, April 9 in the Miami Herald, and October 28 in the The Charlotte Observer.
- "Bigger Houses Bring Energy Woes", Market Watch, March 14, 2006 (PDF, 93KB)
- PRESS RELEASE: PATH Releases Concept Home Designs, March 2006 (PDF, 73KB)
- "The Most Destructive Termite in the World", sunherald.com, February 9, 2006 (PDF, 62KB)
- "Lincoln Builder Chosen to Build Pioneer Affordable Housing", Lincoln Journal
Star, January 14, 2006 (PDF, 73KB)
- "HUD Plans Concept House for Omaha" , Omaha World-Herald, January 12, 2006 (PDF, 60KB)
- PRESS RELEASE: Concept Home Demonstration Project, January 2006 (PDF, 74KB)
- PRESS RELEASE: Newport Announces New Project Engineer, December 2005 (PDF, 60KB)
- PRESS RELEASE: New HUD Report Identifies Strategies to Advance Residential Roof Systems, November 18, 2005 (PDF, 65KB)
- "Company to Build HUD Dream Home", The Capital, November 15, 2005 (PDF, 200KB)
- "HUD Taps Newport", The Daily Record, November 3, 2005 (PDF, 49KB)
- PRESS RELEASE: Newport Partners Receives Four HUD Grants, November 2, 2005 (PDF, 67KB)
- "Davidsonville Firm Working on Inner-city Home of the Future", The Capital, January 30, 2005 (PDF, 259 KB)
- PRESS RELEASE: Lyons to Lead Concept Home Project, January 2005 (PDF, 70KB)